A trip to the dentist can be challenging for some patients- especially children. Even though many dental care professionals will go out of their way to ensure that their patients are comfortable during dental treatment, it can still be a daunting experience for those who are uneasy about their visits to the dentist. A successful way that dentists can ease and relax their patients is by using nitrous oxide or laughing gas during dental treatments.
The Benefits of Nitrous Oxide During Dental Treatment
- Breathing in nitrous oxide can leave patients feeling sedated quickly and painlessly. It usually takes effect any time between 30 seconds to 3 minutes after administration.
- No injections are required. You simply breathe in the nitrous oxide through a mask administered by a dental care professional.
- It can make a patient’s trip to the dentist much more enjoyable. It alleviates stress, and can especially calm down children that tend to feel nervous in a dental care professional’s chair.
- Your recovery time is very quick- it typically takes 3 to 5 minutes.
- Dental procedures that sound daunting, such as wisdom tooth removal, are much easier for anxious patients to endure.
- You are still conscious when using nitrous oxide.
- You can safely drive yourself home shortly after your dental exam.